Improving Pneumococcal Immunization Rates through Medicare Annual Wellness Visits: Pre-visit Planning
Despite the overwhelming evidence that immunization reduces the risk of contracting pneumococcal disease, a 2016 report showed that New Jersey immunized 66.5% of eligible adults over 65 years of age. According to Healthy New Jersey 2020, the State is not making adequate progress toward the goal of immunizing a minimum of 72.2% of eligible adult patients.
At the conclusion of the program, practices will be able to:
- Follow evidence-based guidelines for pneumococcal vaccination in older adults;
- Utilize Medicare Annual Wellness Visit (AWV) to identify older adult patients with gaps in care eligible for pneumococcal vaccination;
- Use standing orders and EHR data to ensure patients are vaccinated against pneumococcal disease; and
- Leverage patient education and employ shared decision-making techniques to improve immunization rates among adult patients experiencing vaccine hesitancy.
- Discuss evidence-based guidelines for pneumococcal vaccinations for older adults
- Create individualized treatment plans to ensure vaccination
- Apply at least one new strategy to improve vaccinations, such as standing orders
AAFP Accreditation: This Enduring Material activity, Improving Pneumococcal Immunization Rates through Medicare Annual Wellness Visits: Pre-visit Planning (Enduring), has been reviewed and is acceptable for credit by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Term of approval begins 03/29/2019. Term of approval is for one year from this date.
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Approved for 1.00 AAFP Prescribed credits.
- 1.00 AAFP Prescribed